What is lavender hydrosol? What is it good for and how do you use it? These are the topics covered in this post today.
The Benefits of Lavender Hydrosol
What is is hyrdrosol?
Hydrosol is the floral water created from making essential oil. This process is called, steam distillation. Steam heats and passes through the plant material and the result is floral water and essential oil. The essential oil gets extracted from the waters surface and the water left over is the infusion of the plant material. The floral water smells similar to the essential oil but much softer in fragrance and in addition has the water soluble constituents of the plant material which can give it a very slight greener note.
Benefits of lavender hydrosol
The benefits of hydrosol is they carry same properties of the essential oil being a natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. Making them a safe and gentle way to treat those with sensitive skin or sensitivity to fragrances.
How does it help your skin
It can naturally hydrate your skin, soothe inflammation, help repair and regenerate a balance to your skin. Helps replenish lost moisture. Its a natural and safe skin toner and better as many times toners have alcohol which can irritate sensitive skin. This makes it especially important to aging skin that naturally loses moisture due to age and environment.
But let me share other ways this amazing hydrosol can be used;
After shower mist for your body to help it retain the moisture.
Diffuse offensive odors by spraying down after a workout
Use for insect bites helps ease discomforting itching and inflamed skin.
Room or car freshener
Linen spray- spray your sheets and towels as they come out of the dryer.
Stress relief spray helps to relax in difficult situations.
Natural bug repellent
Diaper rash spray
Replenish skin with moisture
Even scares monsters away for kids
Here are three products made from lavender hydrosol. Face and Body Spray to use as toner, on rashes, burns and sensitive areas can also be used as bug repellent. Lavender sleep spray for pillows, bedding along with clothing. Lavender Room spray to help with offensive odors and fabrics such as furniture, floors and overall room spray. Lavender essential oil is the oil that is extracted from the top of the floral water. Lavender perfume is a infusion of coconut oil and lavender essential oil.
Happy New Years!
One of my goals this year is to do a little more pampering. That is always a good idea, but I seem to get busy and ignore myself. I think that is a common problem with so many of us.
This is just a basic face mask recipe that you'll find everywhere online. It is versatile and you can change up the recipe to fit your face type.
Flat champagne and wine can actually help as a toner on the skin. The antioxidants and tartaric acid helps to tone the skin while the antibacterial properties help fight elements that promote acne.
What a great way to use up leftover champagne and pamper yourself at the same time!
May this new year brings good things for you!
Lavender Champagne Mask
1/2 cup (4 oz.) of powdered clay
Add 2 tbsp. (1 oz.) of either heavy cream or plain yogurt
1/4 cup (2 oz.) of flat champagne and stir until combined.
2 drops Norwood Farm lavender essential oil
Mix all ingredients until smooth, place on face. Let sit on face for 3-15 minutes and then wash off with warm water.
1) Bug repellent- lavender has been shown effective for both human and animals in deterring fleas, and bugs especially the one we detest which is mosquitos when we venture in the outdoors. It works especially well when combined with other essential oils like citronella. To use rub lavender on your pulse points behind the ears and insides of the wrists which allows the essential oils to be dissipated by your body heat. It is recommended that you dilute it in a little bit of carrier oil such as coconut oil, grapeseed oil or jojoba oil.
2) Bee stings and insect bites- it has been shown effective in helping once you have a bite. Lavender is analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antiviral, bactericide, calming, cicatrisant, fungicide, nervine, relaxing, sedative. It no only helps calm reduce inflammation and calm the skin, but to the nerves in general. It has a pleasant smell that bugs (and their bites) seem to hate but most people love.
3) Burns have been helped with lavender essential because of the antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-fungal and circulatory stimulating properties that it contains. It helps with inflammation, wound healing along with reducing scarring and infection as a direct result of its antibacterial properties.
4) Rash, Dermatitis and Eczema- lavender essential as described above with burns is antiseptic, along with calming in nature to all skin conditions which helps heal the red irritated inflamed skin, and dry skin associated with eczema, rashes and dermatitis. Because of the anti-inflammatory properties it aids in numerous skin conditions to reduce redness, and inflammation of skin flare ups and conditions.
5) Chapped lips associated with winter, cold, and wind. Lavender essential oil has been seen effective as with numerous other skin conditions as it helps moisturize, seal dehydrated lips, and lubricate along with its anti-inflammatory properties help repair and heal painful and bleeding cracks on the lips. to aid in wound healing and skin regeneration. Lavender also has a numbing down effect that helps when especially painful and on aids in reducing inflammation often associated with chapped lips.
6) Acne and skin blemishes have been shown to benefit from lavender essential oil much like any of the other skin conditions already described. It is a power house with its benefits; analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antiviral, bactericide, calming, cicatrisant, fungicide, nervine, relaxing, sedative. It no only helps calm reduce inflammation and calm the skin, but to the nerves in general.
7) Digestion often associated with stomach cramps, diarrhea, gas and bloating are all forms of improper digestion. Lavender essential oil has been found helpful for relief. When inhaled or topically massaged onto the skin, the essential oil compounds trigger cells to send information to the brain which responds effectively by sending signals to the body. For digestion, an essential oil such as lavender can cause the brain to release signals that calm and soothe the digestive tract or stimulate digestion.
8) Anxiety, depression and stress are common issues today and are not to be treated lightly. Lavender essential oil has shown to having a calming, relaxing effect. It’s considered a nervous system restorative and helps with inner peace, sleep, restlessness, irritability, panic attacks, nervous stomach and general nervous tension. These conditions can be very serious and one should always seek medical attention.
9) Calming-Lavender essential oil has shown to having a calming, relaxing effect. It’s considered a nervous system restorative and helps with inner peace, sleep, restlessness.
10) Promote sleep- Lavender essential is calming, because of its relaxing quality. It’s considered a nervous system restorative and helps to balance your nerves to promote a inner peace, to promote relaxation that helps promote your ability to sleep.
Lavender Essential Oil is very popular because of its qualities as well as pleasant enjoyable fragrance. Norwood Farm makes our own therapeutic grade essential oil that is made from 100% Grosso lavender and made in Oregon-United States and matches or exceeds the quality of France. We hand cut our fresh lavender and process in small batches in our own hand hammered Portuguese copper still to ensure high quality and farm freshness! We offer it in 3 sizes and can be found here.
I am Nicole Callen, lavender lover, farmer, and owner of Norwood Lavender Farm. My intention for this page is to bring you great lavender related content that you can use. Most of it contains culinary adventures that transpire in my kitchen, as I have a love for the complex floral flavor and depth that lavender brings to cooking. I like to say, "where nature meets gourmet".